Sunday, January 28, 2007
So far to date this block was the most difficult to do. I did it all in pieces and sewed them together, rather than one background piece and four melons appliqued on top. It was very hard to do all those curved seams. But it is finished and it turned out okay I think -- Better finished than perfect!!
This was a fairly easy and straight forward block to do. Fairly big pieces compared to some. It looks like alot of my blocks are in browns but they really aren't. I have quite a few blue and green and pink etc. But the colours will be the more muted civil war colours.
Monday, January 22, 2007
B-3 Mirror Image
D-3 Jason's Jacks
Having a bit of trouble with picasa this afternoon - my post was just a bunch of boxes with red x's. I shall try to post again.
I am doing this quilt in mostly civil war type reproduction fabrics, so there seems to be lots of browns and muted colours.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Sunday, January 7, 2007
After the freezer paper templates are cut out I iron them onto the wrong side of the fabric. I then draw around each piece with my mechanical pencil and I also use a ruler and draw a 1/4 inch cutting line. It is an extra step to draw the cutting line, but I like that I end up with a fairly even seam that way. My freehand cutting skills are pretty poor.
The pieces all go back in the little plastic sandwich bags and are now ready for whenever I can get to stitching them together. There is the little strip of paper with the block name and number in the bag as well. At the time when I get the blocks ready to stitch I use the book and look up the block and see how the pieces go together. I use both the CD and the book to put the blocks together.
Thursday, January 4, 2007
The fact that this post showed up is a complete shock. I just did the old "Blog This" in Picasa and poof it was here -- very unusual. I also decide to change this blog template as well.
This block is hand pieced and the handle of the basket is appliqued in place.